Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to disassemble a pallet?

JI
Cultivating a Following

How to disassemble a pallet?

Can someone please explain how to disassemble a pallet without splitting too many pieces? What tools will I need? Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to disassemble a pallet

Hi @JI,

I've disassembled many pallets by hand with just a pinch bar. If you take your time, you won't split many boards, but there are generally at least one or two casualties in each pallet. There are different qualities of pallets out there; sometimes, every board will split no matter what you do. These pallets I move on from.

You can try a tool similar to the Mumme 1260mm Reno Bar which is designed for pallets. I haven't personally used this tool, but it looks effective.

Depending on how many pallets you wish to take apart and whether this will be an ongoing hobby, I'd strongly recommend a reciprocating saw. I currently use a Ryobi One+ 18V Gen II Reciprocating Saw - Skin Only, and it is amazing! With this method, you simply slice through the nails behind the boards and separate them with no splitting at all. With practice, you can disassemble an entire pallet into useable boards in under 5 minutes.

What do you plan to use your pallets for? You might like to check out our Top 10 most popular pallet projects for inspiration.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
paulmp
Growing in Experience

Re: How to disassemble a pallet?

I really, really recommend this as a pallet buster: Mumme 1260mm Reno Bar | Bunnings Warehouse

I've got one and it is super simple to use and I find I get far more keepers than splits with it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects