Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enhance metal on wooden chest?

Newbie-
Growing in Experience

How to enhance metal on wooden chest?

Hello,

Im wondering what product I can use to enhance/update these metal bits?

087836BA-499D-4FBF-AA00-509DC1F379E1.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to enhance metal on wooden chest?

Hi @Newbie-,

I'm keen to hear more about how you'd like to enhance/update these fixings. Were you thinking of anything in particular, and do you have any inspiration pictures? 

Were you planning on changing the timber finish at all? Perhaps if you sanded it back and applied something like a whitewash, that would open up more styling choices. Personally, I think the metal is quite in-tune with this chest and curved lid style. 

A couple of options would be to polish the metal parts up to make them stand out or even paint them black to make their appearance more subtle. 

Let me mention some of our creative members, @prettyliving, @lifestylebymari, @craftyhopper and @sandy_d, to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Newbie-
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the reply, Mitchell.

Im looking to get some black paint (most likely) to paint over the metal parts.

I will sand the chest back and finish it in more of a natural/grey type colour.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Make sure you use an etch primer similar to Dy-Mark 325g Grey MetalPro Etch Primer prior to your black topcoat @Newbie-. It's essential to use a primer that etches the brass surface so your paint can bond to it. 

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Newbie- 

I'm aware you're painting the wooden chest black, but would you like to know if your metal parts are real brass or electroplated brass? I suggest doing the ketchup test. Apply some everyday ordinary tomato ketchup and leave it there for 15 to 20 minutes and then start polishing the brass with a clean rag. The acids in the tomato ketchup remove dirt and tarnish on the brass surface. However, if nothing happens odds are the metal pieces are electroplated.

If you decide to paint the metal pieces then my colleague's recommendation is your next step and that is to etch the metal surface before painting it to your preferred choice. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Newbie-
Growing in Experience

Thank you, so do I just use any black metal paint? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Newbie-

I suggest using my colleague's recommendation of using  Dy-Mark 325g Grey MetalPro Etch Primer. Please remember to give the metal parts a light sand before putting on the primer.  Painting directly to the metal will not give you a good result and the paint may peel off in a short amount of time. Using the primer creates a good base for the paint to attach to and will stay on much longer.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects