Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enlarge set back hole for door knob?

Coolaholigah
Cultivating a Following

How to enlarge set back hole for door knob?

Hi and thanks in advance.

I have purchased a passage set door knob (https://www.bunnings.com.au/ikonic-brushed-nickel-ruby-passage-set_p0199993) and am hoping to change over from an old one. The hole needed for the new one is larger than the existing. I have a drill bit for the right size hole but how do I line it up and make sure it’s in the right place? It looks from the instructions like the new knob only has screws in to the door on one side and also horizontally so the existing screw holes shouldn’t be a problem. Is that right? Thanks

photo of existing hole is attached IMG_5822.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to enlarge set back hole for door knob?

Hello @Coolaholigah 

Thanks for sharing your question about your new doorknob. Inside the packet of the Ikonic Brushed Nickel Ruby Passage Set is a tightly folded set of instructions along with a cutting template. All you need to do is cut out the template guide and paste it to your door and you'll see exactly where you need to cut to fit your new doorknob.

My best advice is to make sure that the new hole is lined up with the latch set currently in your door. 

Here is a link to the installation instructions: Ikonic Passage Set.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Coolaholigah
Cultivating a Following

Oh. So you kind of drill through the paper?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Coolaholigah 

It's best to mark it with a pencil or marker if possible, drilling through the paper will tear it to shreds and you'll loose your guide.

Eric

Coolaholigah
Cultivating a Following

The https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-wood-door-lock-installation-kit_p0252336 installation kit turned out to be a worthwhile investment though I didn’t understand how to use the spade bit guide. The guide was most useful for drilling the 54mm hole because with the existing hole the pilot drill was not usefulAfterAfter

all done

Love your work, @Coolaholigah! Well done.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects