Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend sliding security screen?

handygal
Finding My Feet

How to extend sliding security screen?

Really hoping there’s a quick solution to my dilemma…

I purchased a replacement sliding fly/security screen for our patio, however it’s 40mm short in height! The top of the door frame is a u-channel so I’m hoping there’s a spacer or extension that would help secure the door in the channel, or a modification I can make to the screen door to extend it by 40mm. Is this possible, or just wishful thinking? I really don’t want to have the door remade. 

TIA

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to extend sliding security screen?

Hello @handygal

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your sliding security screen.

Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the door area where the security screen is installed? This will give our members a chance to assess the layout of the door runners. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. 

If you purchased the door from the store, you do have the option of returning it, if it is the wrong size. However, if you had it made, perhaps you can speak to the person who assembled it and tell them the size is not correct. 

We look forward to seeing the photo. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

See below the top track and the gap when the door is mounted on the bottom track. 
Hope this helps. 

AD979935-A507-4412-B5E6-0C0AF3F039C9.jpeg

58754EEB-CFB6-4BC0-8CAB-2364B520DB01.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @handygal,

You could lower the track by screwing some box section into it and then screw a new U-channel track onto the box section. Or, screw a 40mm rectangular section onto the top of the door. I've created a rendering below to illustrate the first method. Obviously, you'll need to check to see if that box section will fit inside your current track. You can paint the aluminium black to match the rest of the door track.

Please let us know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc! I’ll give it a go. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects