Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend the front gate length?

mmd22
Building a Reputation

How to extend the front gate length?

Hello Everyone 

I would like to have some advice please . This is my front gate . It was 1.8 m height and 900 mm wide.

I am replacing my front fence and extending the  fence and post to 2.1 m height .

so I would like to lift the gate up to match fence 2.1 m high and would like to extend the gate from bottom.

What would be best and easy way to do ?

I would appreciate any advice .

thank you 

Back of the gateBack of the gate

front of the gatefront of the gate

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to extend the front gate length?

Hello @mmd22

Thanks for sharing your question about extending your gate length. The trick is to find the same kind of timber to match your existing gate. It seems to be some form of shiplap for the front along with dark grain timber for the frame. The general idea is to attach a joining piece at the back of the gate for you to attach the extension at the bottom. I've placed an image below to give you an idea. Please let me know what you think.

Just a friendly reminder to please wear gloves, goggles and a dust mask when nailing and cutting timber. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mmd22
Building a Reputation

@EricL thank you so much for your advice and making image for me . it is huge help . 

I am sure front panel is used similar like ( I measured )  140 x 12mm 2.4m Lining Board Pine Regency 321 from Bunnings.

I am just not sure If I use this can be outside and these are exactly same size like my existing gate . 

Now I just have to find dark grain timber . 

I am thinking to paint the gate with similar colour . Can I please ask what sort paint/ Varnish  I could use this for this outside door .

Thank you  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mmd22

I suggest using a Stain and Varnish to protect your gate extension. I recommend going to your local store and proceeding to the paint department and having a look at the stain & varnish sample board to give you a better idea of their finish. Once you find a compatible colour ask the paint team member if they have it as a sample pot.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

mmd22
Building a Reputation

@EricL Thank you .

I will do that , I will upload photos when finish the project . 

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Hello @EricL 

could i please ask can i use  Dunnings 160 x 70mm M10 Galvanised Bracket Plate or similar to join only two side panel instead of treated pine . will it strong enough ? In the middle I will use 90 mm x 45 mm treated pine .

If I use same size treated pine on top of side panel , it will look bit different .

Sorry I can not do drawing like you to explain very nicely .

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mmd22

If you don't mind using very large nuts and bolts then yes, you can use the Dunnings 160 x 70mm M10 Galvanised Bracket Plate. If you are planning on using flat plates to attach the extension, just remember to consider how you will attach it to your existing gate. I suggest having a look at the Carinya 190 x 40 x 3.5mm Zinc Plated Mending Plate - single. You can screw the smaller bracket straight onto the timber of the gate.

If you have any other questions that we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

mmd22
Building a Reputation

EA88C665-9C10-4C4A-B23A-A0308A4FC59E.jpeg

88F8188B-4493-48BC-A2FF-1472A396195C.jpeg

  

Hi @EricL 

thank you so much for your advice .

i extended the gate without having  enough tools .

I have a hand saw and hammer .

I brought 3 different size chesel which helped me to cut the side treated pine for side panel .

sorry I forgot to take photos .

next problem I had to face is colour  matching the stain and varnish .

as we do not use that gate much so I am happy with that result .

I have to find something for gap between existing and new gate .

thank you again .

please see photos below 

1513659C-B270-4D99-BCE5-D3F9559A2911.jpeg

4600D4BF-1995-493C-B401-2C0E90DBC9F6.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mmd22 

Thank you very much for the update, your gate extension looks very good. The colour matching is spot on! What brand did you use and what kind of stain did you end up using? To cover the gap between your old and new gate I suggest having a look at Poly 450g Brown Coloured Caulk Gap Filler. It can be used outside, it's flexible and weather resistant. Because of its brown colour, it should blend in with your gate colour.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Thank you for that advise again . i will use the gap filler .

I used Bondall Monocel stain  and Varnish Jarrah for the panel and ceder colour for the middle part .

thank you 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects