Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap in rendered blueboard wall?

househouse
Just Starting Out

How to fill gap in rendered blueboard wall?

Hi there,

What would be the recommended way to fill this gap? What sort of materials would I require? 

Also, would it be recommended to seal the gaps or are gaps required for air circulation? If so, what material would I use?

IMG_2041.jpgIMG_2040.jpgIMG_2038.jpgIMG_2034.jpgIMG_2037.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gap in rendered blueboard wall?

Hello @househouse

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. it's terrific to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about filling and rendering blue board.

I suggest going to your local store and asking a team member in the timber yard if they have any broken cement sheet pieces. If you're able to buy a small piece you can use this to cover the gap and you can render over it. But your first priority is to cover the inside of the gap. Once you have the cement sheet, you'll need to cut some pieces to fit into the shape of the gap. I recommend using Selleys 95g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Construction Adhesive to stick the cement sheet into the gap. You can use masking tape to keep the pieces in place while the glue dries.

Once the glue is dry, I suggest using a Sabco Jumbo Wash Sponge to dampen the cement sheet before patching it with mortar. I recommend using a Craftright 150mm Pointing Trowel to mix the mortar and to apply it to the damaged area. I suggest using the Dingo Fast Set Mortar - 3kg mixed with water to repair the damage. Mix it thick to the consistency of toothpaste and mix only the amount you think will need to repair the area. Put the unused mortar in a ziplock bag for future repairs.

It sounds like an interesting repair job, any photo updates you can provide while you fix it would be much appreciated.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to render

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects