Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gaps and paint Bessa block wall?

jackjack4
Finding My Feet

How to fill gaps and paint Bessa block wall?

1BE93243-F719-4F97-844F-18BEC28769EC.jpeg

44253095-24F9-44FD-91CB-F843A841706F.jpeg

IMG_0054.jpeg

IMG_0055.jpeg

Hi, I’d like to paint this concrete wall in my garage (only the back wall) and need some advice please. It is built into a slope, so the window is actually ground level and most of the wall is underground. 

There is a gap in the wall that looks like has partially been filled with rubbery caulk maybe. 

i have three questions please:

1. What should I use to fill the rest of the gap in the wall? 
2. What type of damp/sealant product should I prime wall with? 
3. I have a lot of leftover interior wall and ceiling paint, could I use that after the primer or should I get some weather shield instead? 

thanks for your advice! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gaps and paint bessa block wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jackjack4. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a wall.

You can use Sikaflex 11FC to fill the rest of the gap, as it's a flexible and paintable sealant. You can push filler rod into the void so it sits 10mm inside the gap. This prevents using excess sealant to fill the void.

What amount of moisture do you experience coming through the wall? Does it appear visibly wet after rain? If not, you can use a general-purpose waterproof primer such as Crommelin 4L Flat Aquablock Waterproof Primer Undercoat and then over-coat it with a standard wall paint. There is no need to use exterior Weathershield paint. However, if the wall becomes saturated after rain and water penetrates the interior area, you should look towards installing adequate drainage outside the wall and waterproofing the wall with something similar to Dunlop 4L Damp-Proof Waterproofing that can resist negative hydrostatic pressure before painting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much Mitchell!

I haven't noticed any moisture coming through the rain, so I'll have a crack at the Crommelin waterproof primer. 

I'll let you know how I go. 

Keep us updated @jackjack4 and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects