Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gaps between wall and floorboard?

domenica
Just Starting Out

How to fill gaps between wall and floorboard?

Hello everyone!

We recently purchased a brick home built in the 50’s. We did a small indoor reno to make it liveable (new kitchen, new bathroom and new laundry). Due to tight budget we need to do the rest ourselves.

I was reading previous posts on how to fill gaps but in our case they seem quite large and I can literally feel the air on my feet when walking close to the external wall. Not to mention crawling visitors 🕷️🪳🐜.

In our building inspection No structural problems were highlighted. So I hope I can fix it with your expert advice and knowledge. Thanks!

F3DE91CF-B2FB-4F48-B1A8-0BF2BD37D431.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fill gaps between wall and floorboard?

Hi @domenica 

This is a common  problem I sealed our  house all around all the walls  with Shelley no more gaps as it  is reasonably in expensive  we  where getting slaters etc we sealed  skirting  board  to floor and had no more issues, paintable in 30 mins,  designed for building movement will fill  under skirting board Fill gaps 25mm wide x 12mm deep.

While your at it this will also seal around door, window frames cracks in cornace and small cracks in gyprock  Just be mind full why you might have actual cracks as there  might be an underling issue.

Buying the 3 pack is more economical  you will need  chalking gun and  the free plastic nozzels that comes  with each tube.  You may want a plastic smoother to shape no more gaps smooth to match you skirting board  lines. Dip  you smoother plastic in water to give you cleaner smooth bead  finish  Wash any excess no more gaps off your timber floor with  clean wet  cloth /rag.

Tip : as you use multiple cartridges take old tube off and put it on the new cartridge it saves wastage and having to cut nozzle to 45 degrees again

Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler I/N: 1230010 $4.75

Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler - 3 Pack I/N: 1232399 13.85

Also if you have some deeper cracks you can pre fill most of the crack with foam gap filler so you donot  have to use lots of gap filler.  You poke this rod into the crack just deep enough to lay a neat bead  of no more gaps.  The foam rod comes in several box sizes as to how much you might need.

Moroday 15mm x 25m MGF1 Gap Filler Rod I/N: 1070478 $19.84

You only need a good  bead of gap filler to seal air flows. Definitly stops insects  (those  insects are crawling in those out door vents in your wall most likely  there are weeper hole protector screens as follows to stop a  range of creepy crawlies)   

Weepa Termite Protector Weep Hole Screen - 20 Pack I/N: 0139151 $25.50

Re: How to fill gaps between wall and floorboard?

Hello @domenica

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about filling the gaps between your wall and floor.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I totally agree with the recommendations, especially the use of Moroday 15mm x 25m MGF1 Gap Filler Rod. The rod will fill in the gap and present a flat surface from which to apply silicone onto. This will also prevent the silicone from travelling too far into the gap. Please keep in mind not to push the filler rod too deep into the gap. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone a gap

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects