Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gaps in skirting boards?

xircomnz
Just Starting Out

How to fill gaps in skirting boards?

Had some skirting installed yesterday, don't think it was the best job but anyways, have some small gaps between skirting and wall in some areas not all, please see attached pics. 

What do I use to fill these gaps 

Also have some areas wherewhere the skirting is pretuding looks awful  ideas to fix 

Screenshot_20221101-075455_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221101-075232_Gallery.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: skirting boards

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @xircomnz. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling gaps in skirting boards.

When installing skirting boards, a certain amount of filling gaps will be needed. Although the walls appear flat with perfect right angles, in fact, they are anything but due to the plaster filler mounded up over the external plaster corners. I suggest using Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler and taping off the wall and skirting next to the gap with painter's tape. You can then fill the gap and smooth the filler off with your finger, which you've dipped in soapy water. You can then remove the tape to reveal a perfectly filled area.

It's a bit difficult, with the thicker skirting meeting the thinner door trim. You could potentially do a tapered cut to minimise the harsh step or add a small section of quad beading that's been cut to the same profile as the skirting. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fill gaps in skirting boards?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

I trust you found Mitch's advice helpful @xircomnz. Please don't hesitate to post if you have any follow-up questions. And we'd love to see photos of the end result as this is a common challenge.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects