Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill hole in door frame?

ekate
Just Starting Out

How to fill hole in door frame?

Hi,

I have had light switches removed from a door frame. How do I fill the large hole that is left in the wood? Do I plug with a small bit of wood and then use wood filler? I don’t have any spare wood at home, is there a product I can buy to easily fill this like you can with a plaster wall? 

879E4397-BA27-4B07-B6C7-6AA0E7F1B084.jpeg

Thanks!

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to fill hole in door frame?

Id suggest using an epoxy like builders bog. You can get it at Bunnings. Here is a set of instructions https://www.bhg.com.au/how-to-fill-a-large-hole-in-timber. Dont try to fill,in one go and only mix small amounts at a time as it goes off quickly. JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill hole in door frame?

Hello @ekate

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about filling a hole in your door frame.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @JDE. Just to add to the suggestions made, if you have no spare timber one of the best places to get some is at the store. Since you don't need a great deal of it, I suggest speaking to the timber yard team member and asking them about timber off cuts. These are pieces of timber that have been cut off at the store that customers don't need anymore. I propose finding one that's relatively close to the size that you need. 

You'll need to trim the piece so that it fits neatly into the hole. I propose either nailing or screwing the timber filler into place. Once it is secure, I suggest using a Multi-Purpose Timber Filler, once the filler has cured you then sand the area flat. All that's left is to paint the repaired area and no one will even know there was a switch there.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects