Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish a desk/table top?

caitlynrachelle
Just Starting Out

How to finish a desk/table top?

Hi all, 

I am building a desk and am in need of advice on how to finish it. I'm using a Vic Ash Laminated panel 2400 x 900 x 33mm. I've filled in the knots and sap veins with black resin and will be grainfilling with Timbermate's wood filler (watered down) in colour hardwood to get a really smooth finish. I really like how the timber looks when I wet it with water (see images), what product should I use to finish the timber that will achieve a similar look? In terms of sheen, matte or satin would be ideal and something that won't yellow over time. 

20210717_133104.jpg

20210717_133018.jpg

20210717_133024.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to finish a desk/table top

Hello @caitlynrachelle

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about your desktop.

It's great to know that you've taken steps to prepare your benchtop for painting. I recommend using a water-based timber varnish or sealer to avoid that yellowing tinge that often occurs with oil-based sealers. If you are after a smooth satin finish I suggest Cabot's 1L Water Based Satin Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish. There is a matt finish version of this product if you prefer this type of finish. 

If you wish to see the actual finish of the varnish, I suggest going to your local store and looking at the varnish sample board. There you will see the final finish of the varnish from matt, satin, and gloss. My only other suggestion is to purchase a quality brush to give you a superior finish.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

Here is a link to one of our featured projects: Quick dining table build by @pete_brig

Let me tag our experienced members @DanaR  and @robchin for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your desk painted and ready for use.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects