Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a non-locking lock?

Mazdarx
Just Starting Out

How to fix a non-locking lock?

A elderly friend has a Lockwood ASSA BLOY lock on a screen security door about 9 years old.  The latch very rarely now moves to the lock position, and the key also has issues locking and in locking.  Any suggestuio s about how this problem might be fixed?

thanks and cheers

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: how to you fix a non-locking lock

Hi @Mazdarx,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop and thanks for the question regarding your friend's lock.

My advice is that you should NEVER use something like CRC/WD-40 in any lock mechanism, doing this will cause it to gum up over time.

What you should do is use graphite powder, in a small "puff bottle".

Graphite is what they make pencil "leads" out of these days, but if you go into a Bunnings store, you should be able to trace this

item.

I will bring @MitchellMc into this conversation, regarding this product, he would be able to give you a better idea on what is available.

I hope my advice has in some way helped you.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Hi @Mazdarx 

I looked   up Lockwood ASSA BLOY  which refers to a range of locks. So I can recommend adirect replacment.

Locks are used daily and wear out. So can I suggest a new lock to solve a longer term  problem and elderly gent dosnt need the pain of an bearly operating lock and it needs to be reliable for  security.

@MikeTNZ  recommended graphite powder which was the best way to lubricate many things. As oil dose collect dirt and cab cause more problems.

Another alternative that will spray on and lubricate is silicon spray. 

But replacing the lock is the best. If you cant dismantle  and a replacement  with matching  lock and replace it.  It would be good money spent on a locksmith.  For elderly saftey  piece of mind.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mazdarx,

@MikeTNZ has recommended graphite lock lubricant. You can puff some directly into the cylinder, but the most effective way is to apply it to the key's cut section and then insert it into the cylinder. Once in, rotate the key, locking and unlocking the door several times. @Jewelleryrescue has mentioned silicone spray, and there is also 3-In-One 150g Lock Lubricant With Smart Straw. I suggest spraying that into the side of the lock mechanism where the latch extends out. Spray around the latch and into the gaps. I wouldn't recommend spraying the silicone into the cylinder while using the graphite.

As mentioned, this might be a case of a worn-out lock, and I'd suggest replacing it. It's not a difficult process, and if you remove the current lock and take it into your local Bunnings store, then a team member can assist with matching it up.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects