Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a peeling floor?

KareelaKelly
Just Starting Out

How to fix a peeling floor?

D75C3E42-4F10-4F39-B4E5-C4BC18A28280.jpeg

D474D191-2898-4F85-8644-4D8BDC39F304.jpeg

Hi,

After house renovations the builders damaged the floor boards when removing the tape that fixed the dust sheets to the floor. It looks like the varnish has peeled off, so I was wondering if there was a way to fix this to a reasonable standard, without doing the entire floor?

Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a peeling floor?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @KareelaKelly. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing floor coatings.

It looks like a non-penetrative coating was used on the floor. Since it was pulled up by tape, it appears like it might not have bonded exceptionally well. Do you happen to know what coating was used on the floor? If you intend to do a spot repair, you must use the same product.

You need to start by removing any delaminated flakes around the damaged area. You can try using a Scotch-Brite scouring pad or some 220-grit sandpaper. Once you've removed the flaking material back to a well-adhered coating, you can clean the area thoroughly, wait for it to dry, and re-apply the coating in thin coats. Concentrate the first couple of coats over the damaged area and use the third to feather it into the existing coating.

You might have reasonable success with this method. However, if this is a relatively small room, it would be my advice to re-coat the entire area. This creates one homogenous layer that is much less likely to give you issues in the future than a spot repair.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much, unfortunately I don’t know what the coating is on the floor - it was done before we bought the place. Are there any particular coatings you would recommend? Thanks again for your response.

@KareelaKelly,

It would likely be best to use a product similar to the water-based Cabot's CFP. It can go over water-based and oil-based coats. Just make sure you follow the preparation steps. It states that if there's any damage or wear to the flooring, it must be sanded, so you'll need to sand back that damage.

Even if you coat the whole floor, you'll likely be able to detect the damaged area as the CFP product is going over timber there instead of the surrounding coated timber. I'd advise sanding the previous coating off and starting again for the best results. 

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects