Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix and prevent small holes in the mortar (between the brick) in external walls?

samuelvk
Growing in Experience

How to fix and prevent small holes in the mortar (between the brick) in external walls?

Recently I moved to a 30 year old house and found within few months there are small brown nests in the brick mortar and few small round holes in few places of brick mortar.  I concealed that area with quick set mortar from bunnings. However within few days I can see holes occurring in multiple different places.  In one of the holes I saw a small bee like insect skin.

Can you guys please suggest how to fix and get rid of this permanently. Attached few photos for reference thanks 

1000049633.jpg

1000049632.jpg

1000049631.jpg

1000049624.jpg

1000049628.jpg

     

1000049630.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix and prevent small holes in the mortar (between the brick) in external walls?

Hi @samuelvk 

Thanks for sharing your question about your brick wall. I suspect you might have an infestation of mortar bees. The Mortar Bee, is distinguished by its enlarged hind legs, specializes in extracting mortar from brickwork joints. It favours softer mortar compositions and has the potential to inflict notable structural harm.

I recommend engaging the services of a pest control expert. They will know what insecticide to use and how to apply it between your brick walls. Once the infestation has been dealt with you can then begin repairing the damaged mortar.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects