Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix and what material to use for this piece of roof

atul221282
Growing in Experience

How to fix and what material to use for this piece of roof

Hi Team,

Fix required for roof section - Image attached

I am makinf sure that my roof is prepeared for next monsoon season and came across this section. Apparantely roof repair team doesn't fix it, therefore, I thought why not explore DIY option. I am not even sure what do we call this section of roof, image attached attached?

I am after a piece of wood or material that I can use there which should be sun and rain damage proof or atleast can stand the hars outdoor condition for long term.

Main questions:-

1. Any advice on the material to use and even better how to fix it will be great?

2. What do we call this section of the roof?

Kind Regards,

Atul 20221006_141529[1242].jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix and what material to use for this piece of roof

Hi Atul (@atul221282),

I'm unsure if there is an official name for that section of timber, as it's just finishing timber on a combination gable roof. Although it looks a bit rough, it doesn't appear to be in terrible condition. Have a poke around with a screwdriver and see if there are any soft, rotted sections. If not, I'd suggest sanding the damaged paint off and re-coating it with an exterior paint like Dulux Weathershield.

I'd recommend adding some flashing tape to prevent driving sideways rain from getting up and underneath those edge tiles. I've marked the gaps that are of concern to me below. Position the tape, so it adheres to the top of the tile, over the edge and onto the verticle surface of the timber. Essentially you want to cover the whole edge of the tile and gap with one piece of flashing.

Let me know how you go with the exploratory work, and then we can discuss further if the timber needs to be replaced. There's not really a single piece of timber that you could add to the section, and you'd need to reconstruct everything from scratch. If this were the case, it would be a reasonably involved process.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your promot reply. Your suggestion perfectly make sense and I think I will be able to follow it as well. Can you do one more favour, can you please share the bunnings link of flashing tape as well that you think can be helpful?

Thanks once again

Atul

Sorry, Atul (@atul221282), something was up with the link I shared above. I've fixed it now, but here it is again: Flashing tape

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

I was wondering can I treat the wood, if rotten, with some wood hardener like Earl's Wood Hardener?

Also I am looking at using Ubiflex to stop the possibility of water leak in your marked location?

Please advise

Regards

Atul

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @atul221282

Using Earl's Wood Hardener to treat rotten parts of your timber is ok, however, if the structural integrity of the wood has been compromised it is better to replace that piece rather than try to repair it. Often the wood hardener is used on window and door sills that have been soaked in rainwater for a very long time.

In regards to using Ubiflex, It is an excellent alternative and covers more area. There should be no issues when using this to seal your roof line.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects