Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix cracks between ceiling cornice and wall?

moloko
Growing in Experience

How to fix cracks between ceiling cornice and wall?

Hi All,

This is a twenty-plus year old apartment building so I'm assuming these cracks developed due to building settlement and/or movement. I've attached pictures to better illustrate the cracks and where they're located (two different areas of the unit). 

Thanks.

IMG_20230316_171052.jpgIMG_20230316_171158.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I address cracks that appear between bottom of ceiling cornice and wall (pictured)?

Hello @moloko 

If the cornice is still well attached to the ceiling, there will be no need to reinforce it. I suggest using a Craftright 5-in-1 Scraper to remove paint chips and plaster at the bottom of the cornice. Clean the area very well with a stiff brush and a clean rag. I recommend using Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler to fill the gap between the cornice and the wall. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone a gap (the techniques used are applicable to your project)

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
moloko
Growing in Experience

Re: How do I address cracks that appear between bottom of ceiling cornice and wall (pictured)?

Thanks @EricL 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects