Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix hole in brick wall and rendering?

jpescod87
Finding My Feet

How to fix hole in brick wall and rendering?

Hello all,

I recently had the ducted air conditioning in my house upgraded with a new touchscreen panel and mounting bracket installed. To allow the old cabling to be replaced and new cabling to be routed properly to the panel, the contractors reamed the existing hole in the brickwall and rendering. You can see from the photo below they made quite a meal of it!

Any suggestions how to fix this? The hole only needs to be partially filled to conceal the hole and exposed surfaces to be rendered and painted, but large enough an electrician can access the wiring if it ever needs to be repaired, replaced or re-routed.

received_815803720033439.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix hole in brick wall and rendering?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jpescod87. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a rendered wall.

I suspect you might already realise this, but any repair work close to the screen needed to be done before installing it. To install the screen over that damage makes it exceptionally hard to repair, especially if you're trying not to damage the screen itself. Is there any chance you can have the installer return and remove the screen while you repair the area? You will be working with masonry products that you'll need to sand for a smooth finish. You certainly wouldn't want to get the cement or cement dust on the screen or trim.

It sounds like it would be best if you contacted the installer and asked how you could work with them to resolve the damage caused to the wall whilst installing the panel. Obviously, it was done through necessity, but rectifying the situation should be part of the installation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks MitchellMc for replying and the warm welcome!

I should of clarified in my original post that the panel can be easily removed from the mounting bracket, along with the mounting bracket which is screwed into the wall. After your post, we had the contractor come through and perform our annual service on our ducted A/C system. He confirmed that concrete filler will work fine and we can easily do it ourselves.

Is there any specific concrete filler/expander that should suit best? Would it also be suitable for filling in holes in brick walls from masonry wall plugs/wall anchors elsewhere in the house?

That's great to hear @jpescod87. Earl's 500g Concremate Expanding Cement would be suitable for filling the larger portions of the hole. A plaster skim coat filler like UNi-PRO 500g Smooth Coat Skim Filler would be best for the finishing coat.

These products would be suitable for other filling jobs in masonry, such as from wall plugs.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Awesome. Thanks Mitchel!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects