Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix leaking window?

tom138
Having an Impact

How to fix leaking window?

Hey, new day, new issue to fix :laugh:

We’ve had some torrential rains here and we had a lot of water ingress through one of the windows. The water was accumulating on the bottom of the frame. It is an old aluminium window and the most likely culprit seems the cracked seal (or is it caulking?) all around:

17618432-5F98-498C-93FA-F3973629D967.jpeg

  

B269B1FB-C1A8-4C7F-A442-01A91A5BE521.jpeg

Just wondering what is the best product to use to fix this? I wanted to just put a layer of clear all purpose silicone sealant on top of the old cracked caulking or is it better to remove and apply a fresh one? I’ve got a Polyfilla interior/exterior gap filler - is it something I could use or is there a better product specifically designed for this application?

Thanks, 

Tom

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix leaking window?

Hi @tom138 

Thanks for sharing your question about fixing your leaking window. I suggest removing the old, cracked silicone with either a CornerTape Professional Silicon Remover or a Craftright 5-in-1 Scraper. It's important that the surface your sealing is totally clean and free of debris. The Polyfilla gap filler will work, but I suggest having a look at Selleys 310g Translucent Roof And Gutter Silicone Sealant. It’s a neutral (non-acid) 100% silicone that offers superior adhesion and resistance to lifting, with a flexible seal. Guaranteed for 25 years against cracking, crumbling and peeling away.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone seal a bath (the technique used is applicable to your window frame)

I also suggest having a quick look at this guide: How to apply silicone sealant by @lifestylebymari

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom138
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL , 

Thanks for the links and suggestions!

I do have this one lying around:

EA7A983B-DF33-40E0-89E6-BE6AE22BEAB2.jpeg

Is that similar to the Selley’s one?

Thanks,

Tom 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tom138 

That will work as well. Just remember that it has to be rated for outdoor use.

Eric

tom138
Having an Impact

Thanks @EricL, yes it says interior and exterior.

I am having issues with access as this is second floor. I’d like to take the window apart so that I can gain access to the side that doesn’t open.

Is the idea to unscrew these screws on top and bottom, remove the post in the middle, lift the panel and remove or is there more to it?

73FD2494-78F5-4DAA-A2E9-F6F8ED87031A.jpeg

A8B9B8EC-9781-4036-85DE-288141B63EDD.jpeg

Am I going to be able to put install it back or is it one of those things that is impossible to put back together once it’s disassembled?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tom138 

You've hit it right on the head regarding the window assembly. Once you take it apart it will be nearly impossible to reassemble it at height. These windows are often assembled on a table using a custom frame to hold all the parts in place. 

If you decide to use a ladder and do it from the outside, I suggest reading this guide - How to use ladders safely. by @Adam_W. Please make sure to take all necessary precautions when working at height. 

However, if you are not comfortable working in high places like me, I suggest engaging the services of a handy person with the proper equipment. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

tom138
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL,

I am glad I asked as I was just going to proceed with disassembling it! 

I did seal what I could, although I had to go mostly over the existing cracked seal. I did find the scraper you recommended useful but I just couldn’t reach to some places even from a ladder. I just need it to last a year or two before we replace all windows. Let’s see how it holds up when the next big rain comes.

Thanks again,

Tom

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects