Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix light cover fittings that fall off?

canny1
Growing in Experience

How to fix light cover fittings that fall off?

image.jpg

 Hi have several lights as of type in picture. All of a sudden all the covers have just fallen off. As can be seen, light works fine. So issue I found is that the catches that hold the light cover in have the part that holds the cover in place broke.  One  sparky I asked said entire light has to be replaced and by a qualified electrician. This seems ludicrous and costly i.e outside my budget for 3 separate lights at this point in time. Surely we can just buy a new fastener. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix light cover fittings that fall off?

Hello @canny1 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the fastener and the light cover? This will give our members a chance to assess the fastener. We can then make recommendations on what to do.

If you happen to know the brand and model of your light fitting that would be helpful as well.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @canny1 

Light covers can be a pain especially when they go South.

I will wait for your pics and model that @EricL has asked for but look for little grub screws that usually sit around the outer rim of the lamp shade. The screws are done up together (mostly 3 screws for round shades) Fluro light fittings are a little different and the end caps can come off. But probably wiser for me to wait and see :smile:

I have some outside lamp posts with light bulbs that need replacing, the whole individual head of the lamp post needs to removed per light (9 in total) and I am dreading replacing the bulbs for the same reason as your lights... The screws can be problematic to replace if they have become loose or have seized. I have an idea that I could drill some new holes and then use (sanded off tips) of self tapping screws just near where the old holes are. Im hesitant to get someone to try it without me first trying it out is all :smile: 

The shade is on the ground with you btw, You dont need to touch up at the light fitting. :smile:

And yeah I really should wait for those pics :smile:

Dave

canny1
Growing in Experience

IMG_8734.jpeg

 Here’s the cover. 

canny1
Growing in Experience

Here’s the model info 

IMG_8732.jpeg

canny1
Growing in Experience

And here’s what’s left of the bottom part of the latch mechanism for lack of knowledge as to what it’s called. 

IMG_8733.jpeg

canny1
Growing in Experience

Thank have shared some pics. Your lights do sound difficult too. Not sure why they design some things the way they do. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @canny1 

Just had a look at those pics and found the actual light. Tho for the life of me cant find enough documentation on where and how the shade is secured to the framework.

The photo with the cover on the floor, is it glass or plastic? That rim is usually where the little grub screws screw up to but not too tightly as to go through it. The three screws are at triangle points to be done up together while you hold the lamp in place. 

That last pic is a little confusing, any chance you could take a photo of the section where it came off on the ceiling as we could then see if there is a workaround to securing it. Have all three screw points (or four) snapped off?

Oriel Lighting LF98840  for your reference. I think its your light. If you click on the pic at the top of the linked page it will show the catalog and your light is top of page 88. This is a 2019 catalog so you may not be able to get spare parts.

First Instance I would suggest to email the company and ask about the issue, Five years and things really shouldn't break. The companies web page is

Oriel Lighting Splash page 

If they cant help then we could go down the path to see what can be used to attach the shade to the base.

Dave

canny1
Growing in Experience

Hi, another pic 

IMG_8735.jpeg

canny1
Growing in Experience

A different angle

IMG_8737.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects