Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix linen door?

sper
Building a Reputation

How to fix linen door?

image.jpg

Hi guys, I have a linen door with loose screws in the hinges, and not sure what to do with it? Can I fill the screw holes with something and re-attach with the same screws?

thanks

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to fix linen door?

Sper

Yes you can fill the holes and use the same screws. Even something as simple as a match stick with some wood glue will often do the trick. JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sper

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @JDE. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend getting some timber cutoffs and trimming some filler pieces for the holes. I propose using Gorilla 59ml Glue Bottle to glue the filler pieces into the hole. Once the glue has cured you can sand off the excess timber and re-screw the hinge back into place.

However, should the screws pull out again, your other option is to use bigger and longer screws to anchor the hinges properly. 

Please keep us updated on your progress, we look forward to seeing your hinges properly installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

hi don't wast your time filling the holes with match sticks they will give way over time. Buy some hardwood dowels drill a new hole to suit the dowel glue the dowel in place and re drill new screws holes using the same screws (new). I have used this method on caravans cupboard (violent environment) full size doors  and door frames. make sure you do not drill oversize holes it will not work, using larger screw will not solve the issue but produce other problems. The question is why did the screws come loose? In most cases the screw are over tightened in the first place?? the other issue when drill the pilot holes the drill was too big. the drill size should small enough to allow the screw to bite into the timber. rule of thumb the drill should not be larger than the main body of the screw. there are charts that list the size of drill for screw sizes

eg.https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4e/83/9c/4e839c00473e3b97a219bad53d2b443e.png  

Best of luck with your project 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects