Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix loose door handles?

kbm10
Finding My Feet

How to fix loose door handles?

All my door handles seem to have become loose and I'm unsure how to tighten them.  There is a grub screw at the bottom of the handle which I managed to remove but couldn't actually get the handle off.  Can someone please give me some assistance with how to approach this task as I'm not very handy!!

IMG_1151.jpeg

IMG_1150.jpeg

IMG_1149.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix doorhandles

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kbm10. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing door handles.

I suspect that since you've removed the grub screw, the next step would be to pull the handle straight off. They might be a bit stuck, but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't pull directly out. It could take some force to do so. Failing that working, do you happen to know what brand they are?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thanks MitchellMc.  So am I correct in removing the grub screw on the handle to tighten it, or should I be removing the plate that is flush with the door, first then tightening any screws behind it?

thanks for your help!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It depends on whether it is just the handle that is loose or the entire mechanism @kbm10. If it's just the handle, then it's likely the grubscrew that needs tightening, but if it's the whole mechanism, then the fixing screws behind the cover plate will need to be tightened as well.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

MitchellMc thanks again!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects