Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix ripped paper in drywall?

Nanne
Cultivating a Following

How to fix ripped paper in drywall?

What sealer / primer to use for ripped paper in drywall? 

Is there a product similar to Zinsser Gardz Problem Surface Sealer?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix ripped paper in drywall?

Hi @Nanne,

Would you be able to post some images of the issue you are dealing with? That would greatly assist our members in offering some excellent advice. Are you trying to seal bare plaster, or has the top layer of the paper pulled away, leaving the bottom layer still attached to the plaster sheet? Are there any exposed paper edges? B.I.N Zinsser Primer Sealer Stain Killer will be fine for bare plaster or paper. The only thing is it's not quite as good at sealing lifted edges of the paper coating. Regardless, it's still likely our best sealer for your purpose. It is shellac-based, so you'll need to ventilate your house whilst it dries.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your project. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nanne
Cultivating a Following

Re: Ripped paper in Drywall

Hi Mitchell 

Water damage on the ceiling and ripped paper due to hooks.WallWallCeilingCeiling

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for the images, @Nanne.

The damage in the first image needs to be filled with a skim coat of plaster and then sanded back flush with the wall. You can then use any standard sealer/primer/undercoat like Dulux 1 Step to prep the area for paint. In image two, you must take a scraper and chip away at all the loose material until you reach a solid area. You can then skim coat with plaster and sand the area before applying the Dulux 1 Step once again. Have a look at this step-by-step guide on How to repair a water-damaged ceiling.

If you were going to paint directly over this damage without filling, you'd need to use something like Zinsser Gardz to bind the edges of the paper. However, you'll need to fill these areas; otherwise, you'll see the damage through the undercoat and topcoat. This damage is typical of something that needs to be filled, sanded, undercoated and painted. Zinsser Gardz is usually used to bind powdery surfaces like degraded plaster or to seal paper coatings that are so old they are disintegrating. 

Mitchell

mmchau
Getting Established

Hello Mitchell 

It looks like Zinsser Gardz is not available in Australia. What’s the alternative product you would recommend? Thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mmchau. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about primers.

You're correct that Zinsser Gardz is not available. Dulux Precision Sealer Binder suits powdery and porous surfaces like bare plaster. I can advise further if you'd like to provide more details about what you're repairing. Any pictures you can share would be helpful, too. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects