Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix sliding door lock?

Fixmyhouse
Finding My Feet

How to fix sliding door lock?

Does anyone know what this door lock is called? 
It is in my house at the back door and no longer works properly. 

It will not unlock when I press the button and I need to use a pen or similar to push the locking plate in so I can get out. 

Does anyone know how I could fix this issue?

The strike plate on the right also wiggles around a bit - any fixes?

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

- Anna

door 1.jpgdoor 2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix sliding door lock?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Anna (@Fixmyhouse). It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for the question about your door lock.

I suspect the strike plate on the right being loose is not allowing the tongue to disengage when the button is pressed. With the door open, does pressing the button move the tongue (for lack of a more descriptive word) at all? If it does move, then I'd suggest looking at the striker plate and tightening it. You might need to remove those two visible screws and a cover to access other screws that fix it to the door frame. It's likely to be the screws fixing it to the door frame that needs to be tightened.

If the tongue doesn't move at all, then I'd suggest replacing it all with a new sliding door lock. You could open the lock and try to troubleshoot the issue, but if the issue is a broken mechanism inside, it won't be easy to replace it.

Please let me know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much for your reply Mitchell :smile:
Sadly the tongue doesn't move at all, thank you for the link to the sliding door locks. 
Do you happen to know of any good "How-To" videos on Youtube to replace the whole thing - I have no idea where to start. 

- Anna

Hi Anna (@Fixmyhouse),

If you were to go with a popular model like the Whitco Blaxland Black Patio Sliding Door Lock, you'd find quite a few installations videos on YouTube. We'd also be on hand to walk you through the process. With our assistance, I'm sure you'll be able to install the new lock successfully.

Sing out if you get stuck. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects