Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix sliding glass door wheels?

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

How to fix sliding glass door wheels?

Hi,

our sliding glass door isn’t running well, seems we might need to replace the wheels/tracks. Any advice on how to do this? 

image.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix sliding glass door wheels?

Many thanks for your question, @poppylee198. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. experts and knowledgeable community members will be able to provide some suggestions on how to fix your door. 

Tagging @Jewelleryrescue and @jaiprak to kickstart the discussion.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@poppylee198 - most likely accumulation of dust. You should be able to lift up the door and pull out from bottom. If that doesn’t work the wheels on the bottom can pushed inside. So pull up the door, slide the wheels (2) inside and it should come out. You can then clean with pressurised air and then put back in 

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately not an accumulation of dust, we think it must be the actual wheels that have worn away, is there any way we can replace them? 

There must be a way to unscrew them

once the door is out. I see there are two pop out nuts in my door. I see a lot of products when I search with fly screen wheels in Bunnings website. It is a good idea to take your old part and get a new one. Happy DIYing

Hi @poppylee198,

Have you been able to remove the door? Once you have, you'll be able to remove the wheels on the bottom; their cartridge will typically pull out after removing a retaining screw. 

To remove a door, you'll need a helper. Ensure you're both wearing appropriate PPE, including cut-resistant gloves, safety glasses, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers and enclosed shoes. Glass can shatter very easily, and it's important not to knock the glass. If you are not confident, I recommend enlisting the services of a professional.

Take a screwdriver and look for holes in the sides of the door frame at the bottom and top. In this hole, you should find a screw. The screw might be exposed on the side of the frame. Undo the screw, which will retract the rollers into the frame. Once the rollers are retracted, lift both sides of the door frame up into the top track with your helper. Once lifted, swing out the lower edge so it clears the track. Drop the door back down so it clears the top track, and remove it. 

You can then place the door on a soft surface and access the rollers at the top and bottom. Inspect for damage and replace if necessary. As @jaiprak mentioned, it's best to take the cartridges and rollers to your nearest store so they can be matched up.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Looks like I got confused with this and the other thread about flyscreen removal. Nevertheless the mechanism for both should be same with glass door being heavier and needing 2 people

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects