Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix split in wooden desk?

leah474
Finding My Feet

How to fix split in wooden desk?

Hi,

I am thinking about buying this desk and would like to know if it looks repairable.

I kind of like the character the split adds to the desk but wouldn't like it to affect the functionality of the desk in the future if it was to get worse. 

There is the obvious split that you can see in the top view and there looks to be another finer split in the image with the measuring tape.

Could these splits be repaired using the glue and clamp method? Or any other suggestions on repairs for this desk?

Thanks!

Leah

Screenshot_20211231-073908_Facebook.jpg

20211231_073927.jpg

Screenshot_20211231-073853_Facebook.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix split in wooden desk

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @leah474. It's sensational to have you join us and many thanks for your question about repairing this desk.

Both of these cracks can be repaired with glue and clamps. You'll likely find it most straightforward to remove the top entirely whilst doing so. However, it could be done in situ. If you're not going to remove the top, the biggest hurdle might be trying to get glue down into the cracks, especially the finer of the two. You might like to visit your local pharmacy and ask to purchase the largest gauge syringe they have. You could then water down some PVA glue (approx five parts glue to one part water) and inject it into the cracks before clamping the top sections together. You'd need a couple of large sash clamps for that top, or for a one-off project, a couple of ratchet straps could get the job done. Simply wrap them around the top after injecting the glue and tighten them. They'll work like clamps and constrict the top together.

Be careful when you are glueing up and injecting the glue; you don't want any excess residue on the top. The lovely patina of the top will be ruined if you have to sand dried glue off it.

The only other method of inhibiting these cracks from developing that I'd recommend being considered is screwing a few scraps of timber on the underside of the top. These would be fixed perpendicular to the crack and across it.

It's a lovely piece of furniture, and I'm sure you'll be delighted with it.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your help Mitchell. I'm keen to give the repairs a go.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We'll be eager to follow along and provide any assistance you need @leah474. Keep us updated and reach out if you get stuck. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects