Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix swollen yellow tongue board?

GurpreetSingh
Finding My Feet

How to fix swollen yellow tongue board?

i am building double story house and have yellow tongue subfloor exposed to weather more than 6 months.Due to wet and dry again and again yellow tongue board swelled on the joints.Any recommendations on treatment.Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Yellowm Tounge Board

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @GurpreetSingh. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about structural flooring.

Is the flooring currently exposed, or has the dwelling been enclosed?

Whether the flooring is salvageable will depend on the extent of the damage. Our Structaflor can be exposed to the weather for up to five months. However, it is always advisable to enclose the building as soon as possible after laying the floor. 

Minor swelling can be removed by sanding. The removed material depth can not exceed 1mm over the general panel area and 2mm within 50mm of any supported edge. If rectifying the swelling requires further removal of timber, this could compromise the board's integrity and its ability to comply with building codes.

I'd encourage you to enlist the services of a licensed builder to assess the situation and resolve the issue before continuing the build. If the flooring is found to not comply with code at a later date, it could incur substantial costs to have the issue remedied.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell,Yes still exposed but will be covered soon.Board actually is not too bad.Private inspector recommended to replace it but builder said he will sand it and make it nice and level.Just want to make sure board had enough strength as it might be deteriorated with water.How about if we lay another board on top of it just  to make sure it’s strong enough?Thanks

Hi @GurpreetSingh,

It really depends on why the private inspector recommended replacement. Perhaps he identified that the structural integrity of the boards had been compromised. 

Laying another board on top might be an option best discussed with your builder. It sounds like the simplest option, but adding 16mm to your floor height could cause difficulties further into the build.

If the flooring you're using is our Structaflor, then they are happy for you to send them a sample for testing. The testing won't identify whether the flooring still complies with code, but if you were to employ the services of an engineer, they'd be able to determine whether the flooring is still structurally sound.

Mitchell

Thank you very Micheall for help👍

Hi @GurpreetSingh I found your old post. I am in the same situation. Yellowtounge flooring of my build has been exposed to melbourne weather for last 7-8 months and still no roof. Can I check what was finally done for your yellowtounge. Thanks

Hi @MitchellMc or Bunnings Team or other experts, looking for some advice from you too. See a photo of my flooring. Not sure if sanding can fix that. This also looks like mould. Any bit of advice from you would be great help. Thanks.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-05 at 2.46.34 PM (2).jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rond. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about flooring.

My advice would be the same as I provided above; you need to have the flooring assessed. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide the best advice purely from a photo. You'll need to have a professional assess the flooring and determine whether it is salvageable by sanding it back. 

If you are able to verify whether it is our Structaflor, you can contact them directly and arrange for a sample to be sent to them for analysis. Be aware that their warranty extends to the five-month period for exposure; any longer could lead to issues down the line.

Given the significant cost of resolving this issue later after the flooring has been installed, I would speak with your builder and consider engaging a private certifier to give their opinion on the issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects