Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix wooden slats into my brick wall?

Deeks66
Getting Established

How to fix wooden slats into my brick wall?

We are loving the idea of incorporating a slat tv wall into our lounge room. I have purchased some paint and some 30mm slats and just an unsure how to start this project. Finish wise, I believe going straight into the wall would look best however if I have to secure the slats to a large MDf piece and secure the mdf to the wall than that’s fine but I’m just seeking some advice on this. Photo for reference. We will be mounting the TV but won’t be mounting a TV unit.

Do I drill into the brick and secure each panel individually at the top and bottom and use some sort of liquid nail to secure the length (2.7m). Then just patch the holes on the slats and paint over? 

Or do I instal the slats onto a larger panel and the secure the panel to the wall?

Also, how would you approach the cornices? (Mostly concerned about the roof as the floor is covered by a TV unit) They are in the way at the moment but I think taking them out would affect the rest of the house. All ideas welcome. Thanks in Advance!! 😊😊

Looking and a Dark Grey colour scheme to match the house aesthetic.

IMG_8978.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix wooden slats into my brick wall?

Sounds like an exciting project, @Deeks66. I'm sure our Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist once he's back online later today. Let me also tag @Monika1, who built this lovely feature wall with timber panelling as well as experienced renovators @JoeAzza and @ProjectPete in case they have any thoughts. 

While waiting, could I request you to provide photos of your brick wall and the surrounding area? This will help our members get a better idea of what you are working with and will enable them to provide more helpful suggestions. 

I also recommend checking out our guide How to drill into brick. It contains advice that you might find useful for this project.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix wooden slats into my brick wall?

Hello @Deeks66 

My apologies for the late reply. Installation wise it would be easier to mount the timber strips onto the MDF panel as drilling multiple times into a brick wall becomes tedious really quick. Whereas a flat panel can be mounted to a brick wall with a few well-placed anchors. 

However, it's important that the TV mount be properly anchored to the brick wall and not on the MDF panel, especially if the TV is more than 40kg. 

In regards to the cornices, I propose removing them to allow the strip to travel all the way up to ceiling. From a visual perspective it would look better rather than having a gap at the top of the panel.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects