Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get a new manhole cover for ceiling access?

Coolaholigah
Cultivating a Following

How to get a new manhole cover for ceiling access?

For various reasons I needed to open a ceiling access cover which had not been opened in living memory. It was very stuck and I couldn’t figure out how to open it. Eventually got it out but damaged and the spring toggle things that were the ‘hinge’ are broken.

it fits into a frame which is intact. It’s above a shower so needs to be water resistant at least preferable waterproof 

the hole is 540 x 540mm

can I get some kind of new ‘door’ or will I need to replace the whole unit? The ceiling space is too crowded for something you push up into the ceiling void I feel

thanksIMG_5920.jpegIMG_5921.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get a new manhole cover for ceiling access?

Hello @Coolaholigah 

Thanks for sharing your question about your manhole cover for your ceiling. Is there any possibility that the hinge can be repaired or replaced? If it looks like it can be repaired, would it be possible for you to post a close-up photo of the hinge. This will give our members a chance to assess how it is attached to the cover.

Another option is to build a light frame made from 42 x 18mm 5.4m Moulding H3 Treated Pine FJ Primed 4 Edge Pencil Round LOSP in combination with Gyprock CSR 2400 x 1200 x 10mm 2.88sqm Aquachek™ Plasterboard RE. It is a gypsum plasterboard with a treated core, face and back, making it resistant to moisture and humidity. 

The entire assembly must be painted so that is sealed from moisture. The cover can be screwed into place, or you can get creative and design your own locking mechanism to hold the cover in place.

Just in case you were curious you can replace the entire assembly using the Builders Edge 600 x 600mm Heavy Duty Melamine Manhole Frame Kit. But the cutout for the ceiling will need to be made bigger.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Coolaholigah
Cultivating a Following

Thank you.

I think I could remove the metal part (with the safety sticker) as it’s just screwed on. Then maybe reattach that to new piece of the Gyprock you provided the link to.

the hinges seem to work. It’s not really a hinge it’s a spring loaded thing and the little end plugs into the hole circled on attached photo and functions as a hinge. That seems to be working. But the hook thing that goes into a box shaped thing still within the opening is what seems stuck/not working (this is the 2 part closure mechanism). One of the hooks is quite bent and I suspect might shear/break if I tried to straighten it.

both parts of the closure mechanism look like they can be removed by unscrewing though.

please see attached photos. How is the closing mechanism supposed to work. Can you suggest another mechanism I could use I if I Hole where spring loaded thing goesHole where spring loaded thing goesClosure mech still in openingClosure mech still in openingBent hook part of closure mechBent hook part of closure mechEmpty channel where spring loaded part goesEmpty channel where spring loaded part goesremove those ones? The ceiling space is very crowded with air con plant etc so it will be a major project to start again with new access holes/covers thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Coolaholigah,

As this is not a product we are familiar with, it would be quite difficult to provide guidance on how it operates. Is there a manufacturer name on it that you might be able to contact for information on their product? 

It appears that the pin hinge and retaining mechanism are both not functioning, and I would struggle to provide advice on how they could be fixed. You could look at adding hinges to one side and then some type of latching mechanism. However, at this point, I think it would be worth considering replacing the hatch with another access port such as the Builders Edge 600 x 600mm Heavy Duty Melamine Manhole Frame Kit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects