Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to give your old bookcase a stylish contemporary look

jenshouse
Growing in Experience

How to give your old bookcase a stylish contemporary look

I purchased an old solid pine bookcase 2m tall and gave it a contemporary facelift. First I cleaned and lightly sanded the entire bookcase. Then I used British Paints 4 in 1 Prep to give it two coats all over. This prevents any stain showing through. Once dry I painted the internal back and sides with Taubmans Easy Coat low Sheen in white. Again two coats to ensure even coverage. I used Taubmans Easy Coat low sheen in All Black for the outside of the bookcase and the shelves. I love the low sheen as it’s almost a satin finish. It’s so contemporary without the gloss and it looks amazing in my study. 

FAA8C0E6-52C9-4A7D-94C0-A5BDC50F979D.jpeg

84119957-8CB4-42E0-95A9-675C8AC873E3.jpeg

E87630FB-C6D3-4945-95B4-29826EE6ED14.jpeg

B6DCDDB3-BC4F-4360-A531-16B8657D0004.jpeg

A38B22D4-5FAD-4BF3-9D94-7E82D9B2C8D1.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to give your old bookcase a stylish contemporary look

Hello @jenshouse

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your beautiful bookcase upcycling project.

What an exceptional finish, the contrast of the shelves to the white interior really defines the look of the bookcase. My eye is immediately drawn to the objects between the shelves. I can imagine if this was still in the old timber finish, all the objects on your shelves would just blend into the background of the cabinet. 

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful bookcase upcycle project.

we look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects