Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang heavy mirror on plasterboard wall?

tom142
Finding My Feet

How to hang heavy mirror on plasterboard wall?

Hi. I realise this has been asked a few times before but I’d like to get an opinion. I have 2 mirrors to hang (10kg and 20kg) on a plasterboard wall which is ~10mm thick. There’s a ~30-35mm airspace behind then brick. I haven’t been able to locate the timber studs which I realise would be ideal. I also didn’t think drilling through and into brick then using green wall plugs would be a good idea because of the 40mm+ gap before getting to brick. The Ramset super wallmates are too long. I’d settled on these which are rated to 15kg

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-wallmate-twist-n-lock-4-pack_p2260138 

If I used 4 for the 20kg mirror and 2 for the 10kg one would it be adequate? Other thoughts/ideas to consider? Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang heavy mirror on plasterboard wall?

Hi @tom142

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's outstanding to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about hanging a heavy mirror.

This is a very popular topic and one that we are more than happy to answer. I recommend having a quick read of this discussion - How to hang a 31kg mirror on a wall without a stud? by @Serveh. They eventually used the Zenith 40kg Zinc Plated SureHook Stud Free Picture Hanger. But they did have two hooks on the mirror which allowed them to use two of the Zenith SureHooks. Does your mirror have 2 hooks on the back of it? Mind you the Zenith SureHooks are rated for 40kg. 

Between the Ramset Wallmate Twist N Lock - 4 Pack and the Zenith 40kg Zinc Plated SureHook Stud Free Picture Hanger, I recommend using the Zenith SureHook as it has a higher weight rating and is made of steel. 

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the back of the mirror so we can see how the hanging hooks are laid out? This will give us a better idea if the Zenith SureHooks will work on your mirror. If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to hang heavy mirror on plasterboard wall?

Thanks Eric, much appreciated, I’ll stop by a store and grab some of those Zenith hooks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects