Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve my sunroom terracota floor tiles?

xsatishx
Just Starting Out

How to improve my sunroom terracota floor tiles?

Hey Guys

Hope you are all good. 

I am looking for ideas to improve the looks of my sunroom which is enclosed and covered.. the tiles are terracota( I think) as per the photo attached. This room is the only way I can exit my hall and enter my garage or enter the yard. I am currently using a corner of this as a home office. 

The challenge is that the floor tiles have this scaling or salt deposits ( as per a friend). I dont want to spend too much on reflooring and hence looking for a diy option which doesn't require a lot of effort( weekend projects) or power tools. 

Thank you for all your help. 

1000076135.jpg

1000076134.jpg

  

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: improving the looks of my sunroom terracota floor tiles

Good Evening @xsatishx 

Tiles do date but the certainly have a long lifespan... 

I have slate styled mmm slate? tiles? not pavers but you get the drift, in my backroom. I was going to put a timber floor down as I really like the idea... Then caculate dthe cost... hahahahah That was dropped fast.

In the end I laid my hands on an older carpet rug and have that in the room, It went from a cold/functional feeling to a warm room and the the foot, two foot around the edge of the mat that shoes tiles actually makes it feel like a nicer space. (The carpet mat was free so really I didnt have much to loose)

Dave

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to improve my sunroom terracota floor tiles?

Hi @xsatishx,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans. 

As Dave mentioned, a large rug could be a very easy solution. But if it was my home, I would investigate installing a floor over the top. Have a look at the fantastic results a couple of members achieved in their homes with D.I.Y. flooring projects:

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts on the site could help you with recommendations on products and how much would be needed for your space.

Hope that helps. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to improve my sunroom terracota floor tiles?

Hello @xsatishx 

Thanks for sharing your question about improving your terracotta floor tiles. Your tiles appear to have efflorescence on it, I recommend using Crommelin 4L Efflorescence Remover to remove the salt deposits on the surface. Giving the tile surface a wash and polish is one of the ways you can improve your floor tile.

However, if you are after a total change, the next best option is using Hybrid Waterproof Flooring. This is one of the hardiest flooring options you can install in your sunroom that can withstand heavy moisture and warm temperatures. It's relatively easy to install and does not require power tools. It will totally change the look of your flooring.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - D.I.Y. floating laminate floor installation by @mich1972

My favourite part about this flooring is that it is nice to walk on and comes with underlay already installed.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects