Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a door closer for heavy front door?

Beavau
Finding My Feet

How to install a door closer for heavy front door?

I want to fit a pull door closer to my front door which is 1200 wide and pretty heavy.

I bought one and scoped it out, and have found that the deep reveal (70mm) and added trim - see pic - means that the adjustable arm is too long.

Is there a brand with a shorter adjustable arm, or an alternative method of fixing the closer? The Lemaar unit I bought cannot be adjusted to be perpendicular to the door as it is too long.

Cheers

IMG-1258.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a door closer for heavy front door?

Hello @Beavau

Thank you for sharing your question about installing a door closer for your heavy door. If you have a solid timber door of that size the average weight would be between 45 to 60kg. It could be even heavier depending on the type of wood your door is made of. In these situations, it would be practical to invest in a heavy-duty long-lasting door closer. I suggest having a look at the Lockwood 7724 Series Hydraulic Door Closer. It has a variety of mounting options and a 25-year guarantee. 

Please have a look at the unit and if you wish to ask about another door-closing system, please let me know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric.

The adjustable arm on that one and others I have looked at are too long, given the 70mm reveal. The adjustable arm is meant to be perpendicular to the door when fitted to spec, so that arm needs to be shorter to achieve that. So I need a closer with a shorter adjustable arm, None of the ones I can see at Bunnings will work.

Cheers

Brian

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Beavau

The Lockwood 7724 Series Hydraulic Door Closer can actually be installed upside down on the frame of the door with the long arm connected to the door itself. However, if you're not keen on seeing a large arm sticking out I recommend having a look at the surface-mounted door catalogue from Lockwood

I suggest having a look at the 7714SRDA on page 24 of the brochure. There are similar products in the catalogue but they are designed to work in public restrooms and hospitals.

Please note that these products will need to be ordered at the special orders desk.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects