Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a pressure-mounted baby gate?

carlosg
Just Starting Out

How to install a pressure-mounted baby gate?

Hi all, I was hoping someone could help me come up with a solution to install a pressure-mounted baby gate in my kitchen.

Unfortunately I did not check the gap between the wall and the kitchen benchtop/side were not aligned. The edge of the benchtop actually aligns with the fridge, so I can't install the baby gate as intended.

photo1.jpeg

I was thinking somehow using some suction hooks stick to the kitchen bench on the side (https://www.bunnings.com.au/fusion-loc-13kg-chrome-suction-bathroom-hook-2-pack_p4822965) with some wooden or small shelf use it to hold the gate together..?

photo3.jpeg

 The way the gate works is by applying some force and these 2x legs

photo5.jpeg

Has anyone encountered this issue or would advise a way to fix it :smile:

thanks! 

Gavin3500
Finding My Feet

Re: Help with Baby Gate

Install it diagonally and use blocks of wood and command strips to achieve the appropriate angles. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a pressure-mounted baby gate?

Hello @carlosg 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your baby gate.

I've had an extensive look at the baby gate range at the store and I'm afraid that none of them can be installed in your particular space. The baby gates are designed go between two flat parallel walls and use compression friction to create tension on the walls to hold it in place. If the holding pads are not totally secure the gate will fail and slide off.

Is it possible to place the gate in another location further away perhaps where there is another hallway? Another possible option is to use a Playpen to hold the child in place while you work around in the kitchen. The only other recommendation that comes to mind is to have a builder/handy person build a custom timber gate for that passage.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects