Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install aluminium fence posts?

Doingitmyself
Just Starting Out

How to install aluminium fence posts?

015CC74E-0F3C-45C0-ADA6-682CE3341FD4.jpeg

E997DF75-2AF0-43B1-889B-41147EC021BA.jpeg

Hi all, looking for suggestions on how to install the start and end fence posts  for an aluminium fence. the posts in the middle I plan to dig down and concrete.

closest to the house will be the gate. 

Looking to split the yard and add fencing from the brick house to the wooden fence. 

Planning to use protector aluminium panels and posts. 

The brick wall is where I want to put the gate. Would it be ok to just have the gate latch go straight in to the brick wall? or do i need to put a fence post on the wall/ in front of the wall?

2. Post 2, Not sure if the existing fence post is sturdy enough to attach fence panel direct to it.. should I attach another aluminium fence post to it or just before it?

thank you :smile: 

668063F2-7AAC-4AC2-AA3D-E3C98F73077A.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install aluminium fence posts?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Doingitmyself. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing an aluminium fence.

I suggest the first thing to do is measure the area and plan out where the panels will sit. This will have a lot to do with which posts need to be installed and where. You might find the panels finish 100mm from the wall or timber post, which would mean that you have to add additional posts. If the panel falls right at the wall and post, you could connect the latch or panels to them.

I'm not sure if you've planned this out, but Protector fence panels can't be installed at an angle. So, you'd need to progressively drop them down in height to accommodate for the slope. However, there's nothing you can do over the panel's width, so there will be a large gap underneath them on the lower side. The only way to get around this is to level the soil under each panel, but that will cause its own issues with erosion. You might like to enquire with the team at your local Bunnings Special Orders desk. Protector Aluminium does custom panels, and they might be able to design something to suit your needs. Simply supply a diagram to the Special Orders Desk and they'll pass it onto Protector Aluminium to see if they can custom manufacture fencing that will meet your requirements. Please also supply your name and contact details so they can call you to discuss any particulars.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects