Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to learn the DIY basics

acb
Cultivating a Following

How to learn the DIY basics

I am a new retiree and interested in start my DIY journey.  I am a total novice  and wonder if there there classes available to learn how to repair and paint the walls of the toilet room, do simple woodwork like making a vertical garden beds, and so on.  Thank you.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to learn the DIY basics

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @acb. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to learn D.I.Y. basics.

Welcome to the start of your D.I.Y journey. I encourage you to explore our How To section. You'll find fantastic projects with step-by-step instructions to guide you. I also recommend checking out Essential hand tools for D.I.Y. beginners. This will set you up with the basic tools you'll need to begin building.

One of the best ways to get some experience is to try and build something yourself. It can be as easy as a D.I.Y. plant stand. This project is the perfect way to get your feet wet. It can be assembled without the use of power tools and does not require a great deal of material. By building this basic project, it will introduce you to the core concepts and skills you will need to tackle bigger projects.

Most importantly don't be afraid to ask. If you have any questions about your project please don't hesitate to post them here. Our members would be more than happy to provide you with advice and information. Please remember to share your project once it's built. 

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you learn woodworking?

We look forward to seeing your first project.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
acb
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to learn the DIY basics

Thank you Eric for your encouragement the useful tips and links to get me started.

AnChi

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects