Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a floating frame for an art canvas?

Nat
Getting Established

How to make a floating frame for an art canvas?

Hello Bunnings Workshop community. 

Would anyone have instructions on how to make a floating frame for a 30 cm x 40 cm art canvas (as per image)?

@Bunnings which moulding do you stock to suit this type of frame and do you offer cutting service in store? 

Thank You. FLOATING FRAME.JPG

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: HOW TO MAKE A FLOATING FRAME FOR A 30 CM X 40 CM ART CANVAS?

Fantastic to see you making your first post @Nat.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to help get you started on this project when he's back on the site on Friday. Let me also tag @JoeAzza, @Brad and @prettyliving to see if they can offer any suggestions.

We do offer a timber cutting service and you can learn more about it here: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Are you framing your own art piece?

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nat
Getting Established

Hi Stevie, 

Thank you for your time in replying. I look forward to hearing from EricL on the project.

Yes I am framing my own art pieces. 

With Gratitude

Nat

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to make a floating frame for an art canvas?

Hi @Nat.

I found this timber on the Bunnings website, it might suit your picture, which depends on the thickness of your picture. I'm not sure if Bunnings will cut mitres for you, if not you will need to cut them using a mitre saw or a mitre box and a fine tooth hand saw. @EricL  should be able to advise if Bunnings can cut mitre's for customers.

JoeAzza_0-1625106079131.png

Mitre Box

JoeAzza_1-1625106436763.png

Nat
Getting Established

@JoeAzza THANK YOU for your great suggestions.  The moulding I think will be suitable and that mitre tool is just what is needed to cut moulding on an angle. Will head down to a Bunnings store soon to check it out.  Wishing you a great day.

With Gratitude

Nat

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nat

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @JoeAzza. I totally agree with his recommendation, the timber picture frame molding will save you time and effort. To protect your new frame I recommend using Cabot's 250ml Clear Water Based Cabothane Interior Varnish Gloss. this will protect the timber from fading and serve as a barrier against moisture.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to make a D.I.Y. picture frame

By leaving a gap between your picture and the frame you are about to build, you can create that floating frame effect that you're after. We would love to follow your progress as you build this frame. Any photos or updates you can provide while you build would be much appreciated. 

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your floating frame once it's complete.

Eric

Nat
Getting Established

Thank you Eric for the information.

gnomes0
Just Starting Out

How to build a floating art frame?

Is there any videos or classes on how to build a floating wall art frame? 

Or can Bunnings make them for you?

thanks Naomi 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i build a floating art frame

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Naomi (@gnomes0). It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a floating picture frame.

We discussed this recently, and one of our knowledgeable members, @JoeAzza, recommended using Porta 45 x 30mm 1.2m Moulding Tasmanian Oak Picture Framing Select. A floating frame is created exactly the same as a standard frame, except it's flipped and slightly larger. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to make a D.I.Y. picture frame.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects