Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a tree for my sons room?

delaneystarling
Just Starting Out

How to make a tree for my sons room?

Any ideas on how I could make a 'tree' for my sons room?

Screenshot_20230814_182858_Chrome.jpg

images (4).jpeg

Screenshot_20230814_182858_Chrome.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to make a tree for my sons room?

Good Afternoon @delaneystarling 

:surprised: Now that is a tree and a half! Firstly Welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: Thats an interesting project straight up! 

Im not too sure how it would look but heres a suggestion...

Build a large rectanglar prisim out of timber, Tall enough for your son to go through, build another prisim but maybe a third smaller overall dimensions and then one one more a thrid smaller then the last one.

Stand the first one where you want it in the room, then the next rotate so the four corners are straddling the box below, the smallet box do the same again. (Think of a diamond patten) Screw using long timbers crews straight down into the box below.

Last question is how big is the room you are using? You could add more "space" to the tree with longer painted on walls branches.

Dave

Using a stapple gun and chicken wire rough up a tree trunk shape, stappling the chicken wire to the timber. (bend any sharp bits of wire over onto themselves.

Papermache the frame, using the chicken wire to make some branches. Keeping in mind the overall weight and too far from the base and it will want to topple (You could fasten the rear of the box to the studs in the wall) 

I can sketch it up if you cant see what I am describing. (Think matchbox tipped on end, then the next matchbox 90deg out of line and then the top matchbox 90deg out of line)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a tree for my sons room?

Hello @delaneystarling 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about how to build a tree in your son's room.

Building a tree inside the room is definitely a fantastic project. However, before you begin would it be possible for you to post the measurements of the room and the location of the door. This will give our members an idea of how much space the tree can occupy, and in which corner it would be ideally suited. 

The function of the tree is also critical, do you wish for them to be able to go inside the tree? Is it just for display purposes and do you want it just flat on the wall or do you want it coming out like a real tree? Please bear in mind that a big tree will eat up a bit of space in the bedroom.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects