Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to match varnish on timber floor?

Lemming
Getting Established

How to match varnish on timber floor?

I recently bought a house and (what I'm assuming is) the polyurethane layer on the floor in the study is peeling.  The study is quite small ~8m^2 and doesn't meet the call out requirements for the few floor sanding companies I reached out to.  I decided to have a go DIY, and if it doesn't turn out any good, I'll just buy a rug to put over it like the previous owner had.

I have sanded out a section and have test coated one segment with Carbots CFP Water Based.  It looks great on application but when it dries out it is slightly different (lighter) .  I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction with a coating that might give me a more similar look?

Thankyou!

In a few years time I'll probably get someone in to do the full study in a bigger renovation, but just looking for a 'good enough' fix for now.

Peeling layer:

Peeling polyurethane layerPeeling polyurethane layer

Area sanded which had the worst peeling:

Patch I sanded which had the worst peelingPatch I sanded which had the worst peeling

After first layer CFP while still wet (looked great!):

After applying the first coat of CFPAfter applying the first coat of CFP

After the third CFP layer - close but not as great!

PXL_20240324_100510915.jpg

I'm thinking maybe the oil based CFP? but looking for all thoughts and opinions!

Thankyou!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to match varnish on timber floor?

Hi @Lemming,

Did you use satin or gloss CFP? Oil or water-based? If it were satin water-based, then you could see a closer match with the oil-based gloss. Your floor coating is likely an older penetrative oil-based polyurethane or two-pack coating that penetrated deeply into the timber fibres and provided a wet-look finish. These modern CFP products sit on top of the surface and can't achieve that same look. However, they are much easier to re-coat when needed. 

To get the same look as the older area, you'd likely need to employ the services of a professional to apply the trade-level products. Alternatively, you could hire our floor sanders to sand back the entire floor and re-coat.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Lemming 

Nice job sanding I must admit, I would be tempte dto sand the entire area yourself and then putting down a consistant look. I think it would be pretty hard to match what was with something new and fresh.

I dont mind that level of missmatch tho it would probaly stand out with a larger area. 

Dave

Lemming
Getting Established

Thanks @Dave-1 and @MitchellMc .  I am using the CFP water based gloss.  I'll try another small rectangle with CFP oil based gloss and do the rest with what ever looks closest.

I figured as much that it won't be perfect, but if it ends up looking rubbish I'll just put a rug over it until I'm in a position to do the whole floor.

Thanks for the input and feedback!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects