Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to naturally grey Teak lounge furniture?

wuzabetty
Finding My Feet

How to naturally grey Teak lounge furniture?

Hi. I have two beautiful heavy teak pieces I purchased for an older home. Moved to a coastal Bach house and they are way too ‘heavy’ for the space. After 9 years I’d like to grey the wood without destroying the grain. 
any ideas please?

I used steel wool and detergent on a patch but it took ages for one little spot. 
thanks for ideas. 
excuse the mess. 
😊☀️

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ideas on greying teak lounge furniture

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @wuzabetty. It's sensational to have you join us and many thanks for your question about weathering timber.

Would you be able to post some inspiration pictures so our members can get a better idea of what you'd like to achieve? Depending on the degree of weathering you'd like to see, there are likely several methods which could be considered.

You might like to take a look at Rust-Oleum 887ml Chalked Ultra Matt Paint or Rust-Oleum 946ml Milk Paint Finish or Dulux 1L Design Chalk Effect Paint tinted to a light grey colour. All of these can be applied as a semi-translucent coating which, if done in light coats, won't block the grain of the timber.

There are a bunch of home remedies to create an iron oxide solution that greys timber. Most of these involve soaking steel wool in vinegar overnight and then applying the solution to the timber. It might be worth giving one of them a go in an inconspicuous location. 

Let me mention @lifestylebymari, @lieselroberts and @craftyhopper to see if they have any experience with aging timber.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much. I was thinking about that option but was worried it would look thick and heavy. Light coats it is.  Thank you. 

E5C96AFF-63E5-4E4A-B0DA-D8BBB3664B64.jpeg

B5C05F45-9431-44B2-B01C-00495817E7AF.jpeg

In an ideal world where I can click my fingers these are my inspo. However I am realistic about the amount of warmth in the wood. Thanks

I'd be inclined to dry brush the coating on @wuzabetty. I'm not sure if you've ever done that before, but basically, you dip your brush in the paint and then wipe off all the excess. You then brush out the majority of the paint onto a plastic surface. Once there is only a residual amount of paint left in the brush, apply it lightly to the timber. 

Gradually build up until you get the desired look. That way, you don't end up with an opaque coating.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects