Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to open tight screws in the window handle?

Firoze
Just Starting Out

How to open tight screws in the window handle?

I have tried everything to open the stubborn screws in the window handle but unsuccessful.

Tried to put WD40, hit the screw with a hammer to make it loose, etc.

The head of the screw is damaged.

I will appreciate your advice to open the stubborn screw.

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Re: opening tight screws in the window handle .

Try a thick rubber band in between the screw and the screw driver. Might give you enough grip to try getting it out. Maybe use an impact driver to wiggle it loose.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: opening tight screws in the window handle .

Hi @Firoze 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about removing a tight screw.

If the head of the screw is already ruined, I suggest using a Sutton Tools No2 Easy Out Extractor Screw Set. This kit will allow you to drill into the screw and use the extractor bit to turn the screw loose. 

However, if the screw has ruined the thread inside the timber, you'll need to use a flathead screwdriver as a wedge to force the screw out as you use the extractor set.

Please make sure to wear personal safety gear such as gloves and goggles when working on removing the screw.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you remove damaged screws?

Here are links to discussions that might help:

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the faulty screw removed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects