Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint an oil based semi gloss door over with a water based semi gloss?

Ando59
Just Starting Out

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint an oil based semi gloss door over with a water based semi gloss?

Hello @Ando59 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting a water-based paint over an oil-based paint.

In order to accomplish this painting project, the doors topcoat must be sanded first, and a water-based primer must be applied. 

However, before you put on the primer, I suggest using sugar soap on the door in order to remove the sanding dust. Once the door has been wiped down with the sugar soap use a damp rag to remove any remaining sugar soap on the surface.

When the door is totally dry, I suggest using Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White. It is formulated to go onto hard to paint surfaces and makes an excellent base for any topcoat. I suggest a minimum of two coats and make sure to give enough time for the primer to cure before applying the next coat.

Once the primer is totally dry, you can then apply your water-based topcoat. I recommend using Dulux 1L Aquanamel Semi Gloss White Enamel Paint tinted to your preferred colour.

Here is a link to a handy guide: How to paint like a professional by @Peggers 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects