Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint inside linen cupboard?

DavidBrent
Growing in Experience

How to paint inside linen cupboard?

1000005718.jpg

 hi all

Needing to paint the inside of the linen cupboard (we have some lexicon quarter paint left over from a recent house paint) however there seems to be this papery material that is at the back of the cupboard that I am not successfully getting off with a sander or a razor scraper

I'm not sure if I even have to or if I should be coating the back wall with some putty or something instead so I can then just sand that back and paint it? 

It's just a linen cupboard so don't need to be super fussy but with the flakey paper (internal shelves were moved by carpenter) I don't know how to best prepare it for painting and guessing I can't just start without somehow solving this first

Thanks

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to paint inside linen cupboard?

Hi @DavidBrent

Try a  thin bladed scraper,   if that dosnt work  use a sharp  wide wood chisel reversed   as to side along wall and not gouge out the wall.

That  paper  will come away try attacking it with 60gt paper on a sander to save elbow grease in a tight space  untill it wears  thin. Change to less agressive  sand  paper once it off.

Pull any lose paper off first becarefull it dosnt pull off gyprock  paper too  .

Any  gouges  fill with gyprock plaster and sand  flat.

Good luck on your DIY

iveg
Building a Reputation

Hi David,

For gyprock can try using a sharp Stanley blade and cut away the the loose pieces of paper only, (do not scrape or sand the gyprock) this will make it peel more. Then you will have to fill/top those areas with gyprock jointing compound (3 coats, sanding between coats) and then undercoat.

I always use multi purpose gyprock compound to do these type of repairs. Buy at Bunnings, easy to use. You may have to purchase gyprock tools to do it. Good luck let us know how you go or need more assistant. The Bunnings community workshop are glad to help.

17044077835277699275817961328109.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DavidBrent,

That appears to be the top layer of your plasterboard. You can't really sand it away, and picking at it will likely worsen it. Remove the loose material and follow @iveg's advice of top coating it. You'll then be able to sand it back to a smooth surface. Then, just undercoat and paint.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects