Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint metal door frames

homediynoob
Finding My Feet

How to paint metal door frames

AED2A772-816E-4DF6-865E-C80001284405.jpeg

71991B6B-B9AF-4AE3-90F0-334B3B016782.jpeg

  

Hi there, 

I am wanting to repaint the metal door frames in my house. Not sure where to start as the instructions on the web seem to all be around wooden door frames. The metal door frames do have chips here and there so not sure if I need to prepare them in another way? 

Thanks so much. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Paint Metal Door Frames

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @homediynoob. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a metal door frame.

Start by taking some 240-grit sandpaper, rubbing the chipped areas back and blending in their edges with the surrounding paint. When paint chips, it creates a hard edge perimeter where the thickness of paint has been removed. You need to soften these edges, or you'll be able to see the chipped area through your new topcoat.

Next, thoroughly clean the painting surface down with Sugar Soap. Once clean, wipe down with fresh water to remove the residual Sugar Soap and let dry. Apply Dulux Precision primer, and then once that has cured according to instructions, a water-based enamel topcoat in your choice of colour. The Precision primer is a specialty product designed for hard to paint surfaces. The alternative would be sanding back any gloss sheen on your current paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mattwhite
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell. Sorry to hijack the topic but is it necessary to brush paint the frame or is there a roller we can use to avoid the brush strokes?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mattwhite. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about paint rollers.

You're not hijacking at all. This is an open discussion post for everyone to join in on, and your question is perfectly relevant.

You'll be using hard-wearing enamel paint, and they typically call for a finer nap roller. Something like the UNi-PRO 100mm 4mm Nap Little Ripper Microfibre Mini Roller Set would be suitable for the job and perfect for the Aquanamel. If you were going to paint a larger surface like the door, something a little broader like the UNi-PRO 180mm Enamel Paint Roller Kit 5mm Nap would be helpful.

Please let me know if you have questions, and don't ever hesitate to reach out if you need assistance.

Mitchell

mattwhite
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell. I’ve bought the products suggested and will start that project shortly. Do you think the little microfibre roller will be ok with the internal doors too? They’re the hollow wood ones with the fake wood grain embossed into them. I don’t want to paint them that thick that it drowns out the pattern. 

Hi @mattwhite,

Mitch is taking a break for a few days. Let me tag @EricL to share his thoughts with you.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mattwhite

My apologies for the late reply. You'll notice that the UNi-PRO 100mm 4mm Nap Little Ripper Microfibre Mini Roller Set is specifically made for trims and architraves. Although it is possible to use this roller to paint your door, it will take longer and there is the possibility of uneven overlapping due to its small size. I recommend going with @MitchellMc's suggestion of using UNi-PRO 180mm Enamel Paint Roller Kit 5mm Nap. It's made to paint larger surfaces and you'll get a uniform finish on the door.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your door and door frames freshly painted.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

lannah79
Just Starting Out

Hello. 
Quick side question. If I was to paint the blank screen door frame below, do I need to sand it? Or can I just prime and paint over it? I want to paint it Berkshire white. Thanks 

5C7D577C-3DD0-424A-9EFE-3524DBFC8BBD.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lannah79

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting a metal door frame.

I suggest giving the new metal door a good wash with soap and water in combination with a soft bristle brush. This is to remove any grease or oil contaminants that may be on the surface of the metal door. Expose the metal door to the sun so that it dries off completely. 

The next step is to find a spot where you can paint your metal door where it will be safe from the elements. I suggest using Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White to prime the metal door. This primer is specifically made to go on to hard to paint surfaces. I suggest a minimum of two coats so that it will totally block off the black paint on it. If it looks like you are getting a shade of black still coming through a third coat will be necessary.

Once the primer has cured you can then paint it with your preferred colour of Berkshire White. Please make sure that the paint you choose for the metal door is for external use.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint metal

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

deluxe
Getting Established

Re: How to paint metal door frames

Sanding then oil painting

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects