Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint over varnished timber?

Emmzee
Finding My Feet

How to paint over varnished timber?

16888888946488140902986858413614.jpg

1688888905090178248845332681183.jpg

Hi. 

We are repainting our house and are wanting to change all the skirting boards, window sills and bench tops from the vanished wood to painted white. 

Looking for advice on best way to do this to avoid the underlayer bleeding through the white. Thank you. 

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to paint over varnished wooden spring boards

Id recommend giving them a light sand and the apply a stain blocker primer to prevent the bleeding. I’ve used the Zinsser brand one a few times before and it’s great 👌🏻 @Emmzee 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Emmzee. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting varnished timber.

@prettyliving is on the money. I'd be a bit more concerned about adhesion than stain blocking. Stain blocking is typically only needed for tannin-rich timber or when you are painting over heavily stained timber. You could either sand the high-gloss bench until there is no sheen and apply Zinsser 1L CoverStain Primer Sealer Stain Blocker, or you could sand it lightly and use Dulux 1L PRECISION White Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer. Being a shelf/bench that might see some wear, it's important that the paint is well-adhered, so that's why I'd be going with a primer for difficult-to-paint surfaces rather than a stain blocker. For your paint, I recommend something like Aquanamel and potentially overcoating it with Cabots CFP for additional protection.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated on your project @Emmzee and please reach out again if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects