Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint shelving?

Marija49
Getting Established

How to paint shelving?

I have put up venetian blinds in my toilet and shortened them per a You Tube which looked inviting. It took much longer than the video to shorten the blinds and I took one strip more off than I should have. {please remember that this was my very FIRST DIY alteration] thing is, it's the shelf is where I put my toilet air freshener and reed diffuser. I plan to put a shelf in. I have a spare book case shelf [wooden and vanished] and will get it cut to fit. My late husband would have had it up in 10 min using his jigsaw but I don't even know what a jigsaw looks like  [ :smile: ]Thing is...do I have to sand my shelf down before repainting it white or can I just spray paint it with a can of spray paint.

To those of you who are really good at all this, don't wince. I will learn how to fix my home and you are all going to advise me so that I can achieve it. 

I'm going to paint this shelf then I'm going to ask this community how to put it in place. At present Im'm thinking liquid nails for the window frame and little ""l" shaped thingy's to attach it on the walls. 

You will get before and after photos if it all goes to plan 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to paint shelving?

Hi @Marija49,

Could you please share a photo of the shelf so members can see what you are working with and give more specific advice?

Let me also tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL to assist you.

Please let me know if you need a hand uploading a photo.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint shelving?

Hello @Marija49

Thank you for sharing your question about painting your shelf.

My apologies for the late reply. It is always good practice to sand the varnish on furniture before painting it. I suggest using Rocket Medium Sanding Sponge to sand the shelf. I recommend Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White to give the shelf a good base coat before painting it. 

If you prefer to spray paint your shelf please make sure to do it in a well-ventilated area and away from the house. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint over varnished timber

Let me tag our experienced member @DanaR for their recommendation.

Please remember to give the paint enough time to dry off before installing it back on your wall. If you need advice or information on attaching your shelf to the wall please let us know. We will be happy to help.

We look forward to seeing your shelf painted.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects