Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch fibrous plaster ceiling?

VBlake
Just Starting Out

How to patch fibrous plaster ceiling?

20221124_172737.jpg

20221124_173649.jpg

20221123_195223.jpg

Hi found a big hole under old light. Repairing before fan install. Was planning to screw new plasterboard to timber in ceiling but do I need to support slightly dropped edge if old plaster with the piece if timber I have pushed up on left?. It would only be held by screws in old and new plaster board or should I just use fibreglass oath? Also do I need to seal old powdery and fibrous edges before plastering? Was planning to use fibreglass tape and patch with Earl's flexi fill. Would really like some advice ta 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch fibrous plaster ceiling?

Hello @VBlake

At this point in time, I suggest not doing any further repairs to your ceiling. The electrician will be fixing the ceiling fan to one of the ceiling rafters and they will need the space to move their hand inside your ceiling. Your patchwork looks great, but I'm afraid the electrician might have to take it off to gain access to the ceiling. 

Once the electrician has positioned the anchor point in the ceiling, I suggest getting the cover shroud that covers the assembly and goes against the ceiling. I propose lightly marking the shroud position with a pencil so that you'll have an idea of how much repair work you have to do. Patching and putting in the timber beading might be counterproductive as the electrician will need a flat surface to install the ceiling fan.  

Using Earl's 600g White MulTfill Ready To-Use Filler in combination with Builders Edge 50mm x 20m Fibreglass Builders Joint Tape will be sufficient to repair the gaps in the ceiling.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to fix a hole in the wall ( the techniques used are applicable to ceiling repairs as well )

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects