Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch gap in front door trim?

lm4
Growing in Experience

How to patch gap in front door trim?

Hi all,

I have recently noticed a ~8mm gap between my front/entrance door trim on one side and the floor. This results in quite a large gap which I am hoping to patch up now it is starting to get a bit colder. I found this thread (https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/Gap-between-door-trim-and-flooring/m-p/77017) on a similar issue, but am unsure if the solution suggested is 100% applicable in my situation. There are some nails between the trim and the floor so I won't be able to get a nice single piece of plywood cut out, will probably have to do in 3 sections.

I think I will also need to replace the door seal as it is not sealing perfectly - in the interim would thick draught tape on the bottom of the front door be okay?

Thanks

Offending section - on door hinge sideOffending section - on door hinge sideGap when door closed (incl. gap under door seal)Gap when door closed (incl. gap under door seal)Gap with screen door closedGap with screen door closed

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch up gap in front door trim.

Hi @lm4,

You won't be able to use a moulding in your case, but you could certainly cut some plywood to suit and slip it in the gap. A few slots corresponding with the nail positions should allow you to do it in one piece. Apart from timber to fill the gap, you could just use a caulked sealer similar to Selleys 480g White 3-in-1 Silicone Sealant. You can pack the gap out with scraps of timber and then caulk a bead of sealer to finish the front face. It's easily smoothed off with a moist finger and can be painted to blend in.

Draught tape would possibly work for your door, but there are some really quick and easy-to-install door seal options, like the Moroday Silver MDS2B Econo Self Adhesive Door Seal. Simply cut it to size, stick it on, and you're done!

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lm4
Growing in Experience

Re: How to patch gap in front door trim?

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks for your response. We installed the recommended Self Adhesive Door Seal which definitely is helping seal the majority of the gap underneath the door. There are still gaps on each bottom corner of the door which we will have to fix up with the plywood/sealant, and also replacing the outside door seal flap. I think the current one is cut a bit short, and the "knub" should be on the hinge side not the opening side?. Does this sound right? The way it is currently installed looks to actually be flexing the door inwards creating more of a gap, rather than just forcing the seal down.

Door SealDoor SealGap on Open SideGap on Open SideGap on Hinge SideGap on Hinge SideExternal Gap on Open Side, Knub pushing door inExternal Gap on Open Side, Knub pushing door inExternal Gap on Hinge Side, Plywood and New Door Seal neededExternal Gap on Hinge Side, Plywood and New Door Seal needed

Thanks very much

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great work @lm4.

You could try changing the side of the knub, but it could also just be the seal being worn out. It's likely become quite stiff over time and is not conforming as it should.

Mitchell

lm4
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc 

Ended up patching up the gap with some plywood and wood filler, has worked out alright and the hinge-side gap is well and truly gone which is good. Just need to tidy it up a little bit and paint to match the frame.

Cheers

345794530_1186222635404600_3055732606082390244_n.jpg346109286_197376466497037_2693301896726035106_n.jpg346108383_1771176409966172_549266880418992074_n.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lm4 

Thank you very much for posting that update, it's good to see that the gap has been repaired. Once you paint that patch you won't even see the repair job. My only other suggestion is to double check your door seal at the bottom and make sure that it covers all the gaps.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects