Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch hole in old render?

maryk
Just Starting Out

How to patch hole in old render?

Hello

I have this 150mm by 200mm hole in my render. This is actually older sandy type render.

Can I fix this using Shelley's spackfilla?

Thanks 

PXL_20220418_101325256.jpg

PXL_20220418_101325256.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch hole in old render?

Hello @maryk

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about patching a hole in your rendered wall.

I suggest giving the damaged area a thorough clean with a stiff brush to make sure that any loose plaster will be removed. Once you've given it a good clean, I recommend using Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Multi-Purpose Joint Compound in conjunction with 100mm Sharp Edge Paint Scraper. I recommend putting on a light coat first so that it will dry quickly and prevent the wet plaster from slumping.

Once the first coat is dry, you can put on a second coat of the same thickness. The third and final coat should be level with the wall or just slightly higher. Let the repair cure for a day before prepping it for paint. Please make sure to use a sanding block to produce an even flat finish.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to patch plaster 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your plaster wall repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects