Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to plaster over new Gyprock plasterboard?

siva26
Cultivating a Following

How to plaster over new Gyprock plasterboard?

Hi, 

I have just got a tradie to install a new kitchen walk in pantry. The job is done but I need to get the plastering and painting done before the shelves are installed. I would like to diy this myself as it's costing one arm and leg just to get the plastering done.

Which would be the recommended joining tape to use on a raw plasterboard and what mud or putty( I'm looking at gyprock brand itself) can I use for the plastering? Would I need different types for different coats? 

IMG20220824185810.jpg

IMG20220824185640.jpg

  

IMG20220824185704.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: plastering over new gyprock plaster board

Hello @siva26 

Thank you for sharing your question about plastering. There are two types of plastering systems. There is the Professional Joint System and the other one is the All Purpose Joint system from Gyprock. The second one is geared towards D.I.Y. jobs the first set is more for the professional plasterer and is more involved. I suggest having alook at the guides below so that you'll get an idea of how the plastering process is carried out   

Plastering tools:

• Dust mask
  • Safety glasses
  • Gloves
  • Mixing bucket and mid sized pail
  • Gyprock perforated paper tape
  • Plastic or metal plastering knife 
  • Broad knives
  • Trowels
  • Internal corner trowel
  • Hawk

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:

Here is a handy guide for plastering larger areas:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
siva26
Cultivating a Following

Thank you EricL. Sorry I couldn't msg you earlier as I ended up look for a plasterer.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for the update, @siva26. Please share some images of your project when finished, as I trust our members will be interested in seeing your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects