Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent weeds and moisture underneath the house?

Tensy
Getting Established

How to prevent weeds and moisture underneath the house?

Our house is raised up and there is space underneath the structure. There are some grass growing, and I want to get rid of them, making sure the whole area is dry and plant-free, and easy-maintenance in the future.

What would work as the best material to put there? I was thinking about pebbles, but should I put some pipes underneath the pebbles to work as a drainage system? If so what kind of pipes would work?

Thank you in advance!

276030267_517194193268171_100573690532298374_n.jpg275625161_1052816565301555_793749866343858631_n.jpg275660365_502941694755603_6981779375069997725_n.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prevent weeds and moisture underneath the house?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tensy. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preventing weeds and moisture under a house.

I'd suggest the best method for removing the grass growing slightly under your house would be to spray it with Yates 1L Ready To Use Zero Rapid 1 Hour Action Weed Killer or pull it out. You might then like to lay down some weed mat and cover it with pebbles. That will prevent the grass from growing back.

Regarding keeping the whole area dry, unless you have any pre-existing issues with moisture under your house, installing drainage won't necessarily achieve a whole heap. However, it would help divert any standing water if that's a problem. Maintenance wise, if you give the area a good clean out now, it'll likely be right for several years. If you wanted pebbles under the whole house, you certainly could do that. Pebbles and weed mat are free-draining, so there is no need to install drainage just because you are placing them down.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tensy
Getting Established

Thank you Mitchell! I'm happy to hear that weed mats and pebbles will do the trick. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated on your project @Tensy and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects